Saturday 18 August 2012

Scentastic Smencils

You should have seen the smile on my son's face, when I opened a pack of Smencils and waved them under my nose to smell the pencils. He found it incredibly funny, and was copying my, sniffing at the pencils like a little overexcited puppy and laughing with me. 
Yes, you read it right, we were smelling the pencils. They are a special kind of pencils and they come in a whole orchard of lovely smells.

These aromatic pencils brought back memories of the sweet smelling erasers I had as a child. I think they came in two flavours - banana and tutti frutti, and they were also imported (which for a child growing up in the Soviet Union was bordering on an illegal pleasure). I remember vividly how wonderful they seemed to me, I carried one in my pocket and felt they were way too good to be used for erasing. Now that was a trip down the memory lane. It is amazing how some smells bring long-forgotten memories, but for me smells always work that way. I could be walking in the street and passing by some bloke with a cigarette, and some particular smell would remind me of my late Dad who was a smoker. The perfume of the lime blossom takes me back into my childhood again, in the school courtyard, and me climbing on the lime tree. And don't even start me on the kitchen smells and aromas, I could write a longer novel than Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time.

Back to our Smencils. What are they exactly?




Smencils are gourmet scented pencils. We received a pack of 5 in five Fruit Shoot™ flavours: apple, orange, tropical, summer fruits and blackcurrant & apple.
I don't know how close they are to the original Fruit Shoot flavours, as I don't buy Fruit Shoots (my older son drinks only Volvic touch of lemon, and my little man is happy with milk or blueberry and apple juice).

Eddie and I sat for a drawing and colouring session, I did a couple of quick drawings for Eddie to colour in, as this is one of his favourite activities. The Smencils we received are the graphite variety, but there are also Smencils which come in coloured varieties.







Smencils can rightfully boast that they are the world's only scented pencils made from 100% recycled newspapers and are environmentally friendly.
Each Smencil stores in its own biodegradable tube, guaranteeing freshness for two years.
I would also like to "draw" your attention to a competition run by Learning Resources on Facebook, you could win one of ten sets of Fruit Shoot Smencils for your children. Competition closes on 14 September, and you are invited to come up with a new Smencil flavour.

Learning Resources suggests that Smencils are perfect for

  • birthday presents
  • party bags
  • stocking fillers
  • Reward good behaviour
  • Encourage children to write
  • Fundraising


  • With so many flavours to choose, you will surely find the one that you like.







    No comments:

    Post a Comment