Wednesday 13 August 2014

Superman at the garden centre



Eddie is obsessed with Super-heroes at the moment. One day he is a Spiderman, the next one he wants to be a Superman. He was lucky to receive several Superhero outfits for his birthday. Shopping with him is turning into a hazard, as he spots any Superhero-themed product from a mile away. Thus, the other day when I had to take him with me to M&S to buy the school shirts for my older son, he has spotted a Superhero top and pants on a rack. Needless to say, I have given in to his pleading. Now he doesn't want to take it off. Yesterday we went to Burford garden centre, and of course, Eddie had to wear his Superman top.



The garden centre at Burford is expanding every year, as if by magic. There are so many things to see and buy, though I try to restrain myself, as their prices are always higher than elsewhere (so I wouldn't for example, buy any gardening equipment there). We enjoy endless rows of plants, bulbs, seeds and whatever garden-related products you can imagine. There is a good food section and a spacious cafe, with a big choice of cakes and bakes. The coffee is so-so there.

Of course, the major attraction is the blooms and plants. The colours are so vibrant.




I walked around the roses, and the smell was simply beautiful. I particularly love the old-fashioned English roses with their sweet scent.


Amidst this riot of colours my mini-Superman was running amok, being chased by his cousin.


My lovely niece Sasha and my little tornado of a son admired an old coach and huge flower pots.



We oohed and aahed at the vibrant colours of the flowers, admired the apple trees laden with fruit, and tut-tutted at the prices. I mean, who is going to buy a handmade cushion for £108?! It is not made by Leonardo.


The outdoors are full of nooks and crannies for young explorers.


One of my favourite corners of the garden centre is the vintage china, in all its shabby glory, full of old stories and whispers of the old owners.


I could never get bored looking at the old cups and saucers.


For me they represent the untold stories.




I wandered happily in the rooms with the vintage china. I could spend hours there given a chance. I couldn't resist the temptation and picked a lovely old teacup and saucer. The lady at the counter wrapped it up for me in some tissue paper with a very sour look on her face. I must have been a very disappointing kind of customer. Not only I have chosen a relatively inexpensive item, I also spoke to my Mum in Russian, which places us in the "beyond contempt" category, as if I am personally responsible for the recent embargo. Never mind, I gave her my most gracious and radiant smile, and left the rooms to explore the other treasures.

Eddie loved the old mirrors, and spent some time admiring his own Super reflection.


He was so happy, that I couldn't possibly tell him that vanity is a sin, could I?!


He wriggled and giggled, and made me smile.


My Mum got a beautiful glazed flower pot for my garden as well as some seeds and bulbs for herself. Ciao, Burford garden centre, see you soon again!

Post Comment Love

No comments:

Post a Comment