Friday 23 January 2015

Italian-style scrambled eggs (#happyeggtastemakers)


I cannot remember having scrambled eggs when I was a child. We usually had either fried or soft-boiled eggs for breakfast. I don't remember now my first taste of scrambled eggs, but it must have been served as part of a breakfast in a hotel. Whenever we eat in a hotel or B&B, I do enjoy a bit of scrambled eggs on toast. They are lovely for a light lunch as well. Just before Christmas, when we had lunch at Giraffe's in Heathrow, I had a plate of scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and toast. Delicious.
Scrambled eggs do need a bit of jazzing up, with cheese or herbs so as not to taste bland. The Happy Egg co has recently asked bloggers to join in the Eggciting January Challenge and come up with an idea for a scrambled eggs meal including a vegetable or source of protein like meat or fish, herbs and/or spices and a surprise ingredient.
As my husband is Italian, I often cook Italian dishes. Some of them are authentic recipes, some are inspired by the Italian cuisine.

Parmesan, Parma ham, oregano and thyme for Italian-style scrambled eggs

Scrambled eggs, Italian-style
Ingredients:
2 medium eggs
1tbsp olive oil
2tbsp grated parmesan
2 slices of prosciutto, chopped
1 heaped tbsp fresh herbs, chopped finely (oregano and thyme)
olives, to serve with the eggs
pepper
sage leaves (optional)

Break the eggs into a medium sized bowl, and beat with the fork, season with a bit of pepper. I don't add salt, as the prosciutto and cheese give enough saltiness to an overall result. Add the herbs, cheese and prosciutto and mix well.
Pour the eggy mix in a frying pan with the olive oil, and cook stirring gently.
Serve hot, with a toast or a nice crusty bread, add a few olives as well.


Italian food

I have also pan fried fresh sage leaves for a minute or so in the olive oil. They are crispy and delicate, and add a nice touch to an overall dish.


As Eddie is not feeling well today, I kept him at home, and we had lunch together. He's not very keen on herbs, so I scrambled an egg for him with freshly cooked corn (also added more corn on the side) and a bit of parmesan. He scoffed all his lunch with gusto.


What is your favourite way of cooking scrambled eggs?

Alison from Dragons and Fairy Dust cooked Brunch Scarmbled Eggs for the challenge, and served them on toasted English muffins.

Wendy from Inside the Wendy House created Smoky Chipotle Scrambled Eggs recipe.

Cheryl from Madhouse Family Reviews prepared Happy Scrambled Eggs Nicoise.

8 comments:

  1. Ooh that looks yummy. Might be nice and easy on my poorly tummy too!
    <3 Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, Oscar loves scrambled eggs so will have to give this recipe a go. Thanks for sharing :)

    Louise x

    Confessions of a Secret Shopper

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh this looks lush i must try it , and i have to say i love the blue patterned plates :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I collect blue patterned plates, love them

      Delete
  4. I love scrambled eggs (but not olives). This looks delicious! It reminds me a little of spaghetti carbonara, but without the pasta. Oh I really want some scrambled eggs right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skip the olives, Lynn, they are optional. I guess it is a bit like carbonara.

      Delete