Tuesday 30 June 2015

Salad Arlésienne



Last Christmas, staying with my in-laws, I have discovered a big stash of old Italian cookery magazines, and was happily perusing them. I begged to borrow one of the magazines - La Cucina Italiana (October 1975), as there were a few recipes I wanted to try. This magazine is quite unusual, as it combines a lot of recipes with articles on art and culture and also knitting patterns and fashion advice, but mostly it is about food.



Among many recipes I found a recipe for a French salad Arlesienne. I haven't heard of it before, or maybe I did and forgot.
As my husband and I decided that this week we'd only eat salads and soups for dinner, I thought I would prepare the salad for dinner on Monday.



Salad Arlesienne  (serves 2)
Ingredients:
200g baby new potatoes
endive leaves (about 5 "boats" per serving)
100g chargrilled artichokes (from the deli)
a handful of baby tomatoes
a handful of olives (about 50g)
6 anchovies
4 slices of lemon
2tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
3tbsp olive oil
1tbsp lemon juice
1tbsp cyder vinegar
sea salt

Cook the baby potatoes in the salted boiling water. Arrange the endive leaves on a plate, scatter chargrilled artichokes (I got 100g from the deli, but the artichokes in oil from a glass jar would work as well). Slice the baby tomatoes in half, add to the plate. Add the olives and warm potatoes sliced in half. Add a few anchovies if you like them, lemon slices and finely chopped parsley. Make the dressing from the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar and sea salt and pour over the salad. Eat while the potatoes are still warm, or serve cold.


Adding this recipe to Bloggers Around the World linky run by Chris from Cooking Around the World, as this month's country is France.




4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. It is a French recipe appearing in the Italian magazine, sorry for the confusion

      Delete
  2. That is a very lovely salad! It's very good I am getting something nice to eat right now or I would need to go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris! I'm sure your dinner was lovely. :)

      Delete